[kwlug-disc] Sony Xperia Phones open source repository

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Fri Jun 23 14:01:37 EDT 2023

It's great that Sony open sources this stuff for Xperia, and allows you to unlock the bootloader on some models. We need multiple manufacturers doing this to keep the free software phone community healthy.

That said, there are different levels of openness for cell phones.
The Google Pixel not only allows you to unlock the bootloader and install a custom OS with a custom kernel, but you can also relock the bootloader with different signing keys. So now you are running a custom kernel with a locked bootloader. As far as I know, this ability to relock with custom keys is only found on the Pixel so far. This is an important feature if you have a security mindset, and it's one of the stated reasons why GrapheneOS only supports Pixels. I can't find evidence of any Sony Xperia models that support this.