[kwlug-disc] ChatGTP + Bing: we're entering a new paradigm and it's mind-blowing

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Fri Feb 17 19:29:07 EST 2023

With this technology, there is no way to "vet and verify" the underlying data. This technology, despite appearances, does not answer questions by looking up answers in a database. What this technology does is to invent works of fiction, by randomly selecting words to continue a prompt, based on the probability of those words following other words in English language text. The probabilities are established by analysing a corpus of English text. This technology is not human-like, it doesn't "know" anything, there is no concept of "truth". Like I said before, it is a bullshit generator. It cannot do anything else.

There are other technologies that can give trustworthy answers to questions, but they aren't as "sexy" as ChatGPT, in the sense of fluently passing the Turing Test. IBM's Watson technology, which became the world Jeopardy champion in 2011, is capable of correctly answering questions. Watson can also indicate a confidence level for its answers. ChatGPT fundamentally cannot give reliable answers to questions.

I would love to use a Watson-powered search engine. I do not want my search engine results contaminated by ChatGPT generated bullshit.

Doug Moen.