[kwlug-disc] Got a new laptop and I need it to still run Windows :-(

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sun Sep 18 23:14:49 EDT 2022

My disclaimer is that I am probably more of a Windows admin than a
Linux one. My other disclaimer is that I have not used Win11 yet. But
I kind of hate a lot of Windows things, so my setup is reasonably
Linux-y:

- There are lots of FLOSSy apps that I run on Windows: Firefox,
  Inkscape, Xournal++, etc. that are similar to their Linux
  counterparts. (LibreOffice counts, I guess, but I hate all office
  suites. (Sorry Marc))
- As Jason notes, WSL helps a bunch. Before WSL I used to run Cygwin,
  which was tolerable but not as good.
- This is not Linuxy, but Powershell is surprisingly okay.
- Using the Windows version of Vim helped somewhat, but maybe not as
  much as I would have liked.

It may be worth investigating Chocolatey for installing apps, but in
reality I found that ninite.com handled things well enough for me.

- Paul