[kwlug-disc] Got a new laptop and I need it to still run Windows :-(

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Tue Sep 20 16:06:58 EDT 2022

There used to be a Windows tool to turn a drive into a file suitable for
mounting in a VM (VHD for the version I used). Might have been this:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/disk2vhd

I did this successfully for a Win7 computer before replacing the OS with
Linux. It ran with no trouble in VirtualBox the first time, but the
second time I booted it Windows wanted to be re-validated. I used it for
a while with the nag screen, but eventually abandoned it altogether.

--Bob.