[kwlug-disc] data entry tools on linux

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Sun Sep 18 21:11:02 EDT 2022

I assume this is a long shot, but might as well ask.

I'm looking for a tool to make raw data entry of records easier.
Records can be things like invoices or numerical data or personal
project log data.  Basically any simple database with simple
relations.  A common data entry TUI that can be applied to any
data entry task, any database or backend file structure.

	- Ideally all keyboard driven.  An ncurses tool would be ideal.

	- Flexible record creation.  I want the ability to start from scratch
	  easily and add a new field to a record on the fly.

	- Flexible relationships... one record can consist of entering
	  data in a bunch of fields, as well as multiple records in a
	  table.. for example, enter a user, with attached list of
	  purchases, all on one screen

	- I don't want to bother with creating forms.  The schema is the form.
	  i.e. there is no sense creating a form manually with a label of
	  "Invoice #" and the field invoice_no... if there is a text
	  field named invoice_no, the tool is smart enough to display it

	- It would be great if the tool saved the record layouts and
	  relationships, and would allow for continuing where you left off.

	- Ability to read CSV files or SQL tables structures and
	  learn the table layout from them.

	- Ability to export the data in SQL statements, CSV, JSON,
	  and perhaps even connecting to a database and appending the
	  new records automatically

The tool would be meant for "just let me enter data" and worrying
about the structure and limits later, or as-you-go.  Most programs
I've seen require you to define a table first, and only then create
a form.  LibreOffice at least has a form wizard which automates things,
but if you change the table, add a field, etc, your form is out of date.
The wizard is so easy to use you can just run it again, but I'm wishing
for better.  Also, I'm having trouble working with LibreOffice's idea
of relationships and forms.

If you read all the way here, thank you!  If you know of a matching tool,
extra thanks!

- Chris