[kwlug-disc] data entry tools on linux

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Tue Sep 20 16:18:43 EDT 2022

On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 09:11:02PM -0400, Chris Frey wrote:

> The tool would be meant for "just let me enter data" and worrying
> about the structure and limits later, or as-you-go.  Most programs
> I've seen require you to define a table first, and only then create
> a form.  LibreOffice at least has a form wizard which automates things,
> but if you change the table, add a field, etc, your form is out of date.
> The wizard is so easy to use you can just run it again, but I'm wishing
> for better.  Also, I'm having trouble working with LibreOffice's idea
> of relationships and forms.
>
> If you read all the way here, thank you!  If you know of a matching tool,
> extra thanks!

In my experience there is no TUI that allows you to enter tabular data
well. I would love to be wrong about this. sc is supposedly a TUI
spreadsheet but it is not nice and I don't like it.

My workaround is to use LibreOffice, but not worry about wizards. Just
enter data into tables. Make a new tab for each database "table", and
manage the relationships carefully myself. If you have this much, then
a short python program can use Pandas to slurp in the LibreOffice file
and manipulate the schema as you wish.

If your schemas are simple then this works okay. If they are complicated
then... ???

- Paul

--
Election: https://waterlooregionvotes.org