[kwlug-disc] Quick survey on tmux

John Sellens jsellens at syonex.com
Sat Sep 10 15:51:49 EDT 2022

Just in case anyone is interested, I'll mention my little tool
that I use constantly every day:

    sshp - simple persistent ssh connections using screen
    https://github.com/jsellens/sshp

I constantly have xterm windows with ssh connections open to remote
machines.  If I put my local machine to sleep, or it crashes, or
my connection goes out, those connections used to drop and I would
lose all remote context.

I put sshp together after I started working (pretty much) only from
home, in large part so I could sleep my desktop when I'm not working,
and not have to restart all my connections.

It works by transparently starting a screen on the remote end, and
connecting/re-connecting to that screen session as needed.  I use
screen, and not tmux (habit), but I suspect it could be modified to
use tmux on the remote side if someone were keen.

Hope some of you might find it handy.

Cheers

John