[kwlug-disc] Attendance

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 09:44:48 EDT 2022

I'm happy to include a flyer with all the computers that go out at
Computer Recycling (all our machines are Linux/Xubuntu now). There is
mention of KWLUG in a manual that accompanies each machine, but it's a
small blurb near the end of the manual:

"KWLUG - Kitchener Waterloo Linux User Group
If you just want to learn more about Linux and Xubuntu you might also
consider joining the Kitchener
Waterloo Linux User Group – KWLUG. KWLUG meets virtually the first
non-holiday Monday of each
month at 7pm. Topics are usually posted on the group’s web site a
couple of months in advance. The
group consists of a lot of experienced Linux users, but beginners are
welcome as well. See the
KWLUG web site for more information: http://www.kwlug.org/."

A flyer might get more engagement than a small blurb at the end of a
manual. This could mean a lot more basic questions/topics, but I
expect it would be a small amount of people who show.

On Wed, 5 Oct 2022 at 23:25, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc
<kwlug-disc at kwlug.org> wrote:

> > So the challenge is to increase the total number of members ('x')
> > and hope that the meeting attendance ('y') goes up accordingly.  How
> > do we increase the 'x' members?  We advertise.  Now despite my Dad's
> > expertise in advertising, I don't think we want to buy radio
> > airtime, or signs on buses, or billboards, etc.  From what I heard,
> > spreading the word on Twitter or Facebook or any other social media
> > doesn't seem to be working.  So we need something new and (largely)
> > untried before.
>
> I disagree with the statement that social media is not working. One
> problem is that we are not doing much social media these days. I don't
> mind if we get posters out or contact the CS club at UW or make
> stickers, but I would really appreciate it if some people could help
> revive our social media presence.
>
> We have a Twitter account that Bob Jonkman doesn't have the energy to
> keep updated. Could somebody take this on?
>
> Mastodon is a pretty minor social media site, but it would be
> effective for our crowd. Could somebody maintain a Mastodon presence?
> And/or could somebody maintain a presence on whatever other
> FLOSS-friendly social media sites are out there?
>
> Could anybody brave the shark-infested waters of Facebook and/or
> Instagram? TikTok, even?
>
> I said that I would do Microsoft LinkedIn, but I would actively prefer
> never to touch that garbage platform again. Is somebody active on
> LinkedIn who would be willing to manage a KWLUG presence there?
>
> I doubt that any of these will solve the problem overall. I do feel
> that some could help a little. If we could reliably get our attendance
> up by 10 people that would make a big difference.
>
> Why don't I do these things myself? (a) We need to distribute the load
> in KWLUG more than we do. (b) I am putting in about as much energy
> into KWLUG each month as I feel comfortable sustaining. For now that
> is enough to keep the LUG creaking along, but it is not enough for it
> to thrive. We need more hands on deck for that.
>
> So if you are up for managing one or more of these things (or helping
> with some of my organizing duties, for that matter) then volunteer on
> this thread or contact me offlist. (But I will ask that you take
> offers to volunteer seriously. It can be frustrating when people
> volunteer to do something and then it does not get done.)
>
> - Paul

Charles
Twitter/Identica/Google+: @chaslinux