[kwlug-disc] Attendance

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Oct 5 23:25:03 EDT 2022

> So the challenge is to increase the total number of members ('x')
> and hope that the meeting attendance ('y') goes up accordingly.  How
> do we increase the 'x' members?  We advertise.  Now despite my Dad's
> expertise in advertising, I don't think we want to buy radio
> airtime, or signs on buses, or billboards, etc.  From what I heard,
> spreading the word on Twitter or Facebook or any other social media
> doesn't seem to be working.  So we need something new and (largely)
> untried before.

I disagree with the statement that social media is not working. One
problem is that we are not doing much social media these days. I don't
mind if we get posters out or contact the CS club at UW or make
stickers, but I would really appreciate it if some people could help
revive our social media presence.

We have a Twitter account that Bob Jonkman doesn't have the energy to
keep updated. Could somebody take this on?

Mastodon is a pretty minor social media site, but it would be
effective for our crowd. Could somebody maintain a Mastodon presence?
And/or could somebody maintain a presence on whatever other
FLOSS-friendly social media sites are out there?

Could anybody brave the shark-infested waters of Facebook and/or
Instagram? TikTok, even?

I said that I would do Microsoft LinkedIn, but I would actively prefer
never to touch that garbage platform again. Is somebody active on
LinkedIn who would be willing to manage a KWLUG presence there?

I doubt that any of these will solve the problem overall. I do feel
that some could help a little. If we could reliably get our attendance
up by 10 people that would make a big difference.

Why don't I do these things myself? (a) We need to distribute the load
in KWLUG more than we do. (b) I am putting in about as much energy
into KWLUG each month as I feel comfortable sustaining. For now that
is enough to keep the LUG creaking along, but it is not enough for it
to thrive. We need more hands on deck for that.

So if you are up for managing one or more of these things (or helping
with some of my organizing duties, for that matter) then volunteer on
this thread or contact me offlist. (But I will ask that you take
offers to volunteer seriously. It can be frustrating when people
volunteer to do something and then it does not get done.)

- Paul