[kwlug-disc] Apparently YouTube loves Canadian Youtubers

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 18:55:02 EST 2022

Like anything the government does, it's caveat emptor...

Here's the short story:

Overview

Bill C-11, also known as the *Digital Charter Implementation Act, 2020*,
would repeal parts of the *Personal Information Protection and Electronic
Documents Act* and replace them with a new legislative regime governing the
collection, use, and disclosure of personal information for commercial
activity in Canada. As the core of this regime, the *Consumer Privacy
Protection Act* would be enacted to maintain, modernize, and extend
existing rules and to impose new rules on private sector organizations for
the protection of personal information. The *Consumer Privacy Protection
Act* would also continue and enhance the role of the Privacy Commissioner
in overseeing organizations’ compliance with these measures. The *Personal
Information and Data Protection Tribunal Act* would be enacted to create a
Tribunal to hear appeals of orders issued by the Privacy Commissioner and
apply a new administrative monetary penalty regime created under the *Consumer
Privacy Protection Act*.  Provisions of the Personal Information Protection
and Electronic Documents Act governing electronic alternatives to paper
records would be retained under the new title of the *Electronic Documents
Act*.

You can get the whole story, at least the parts they're willing to put in
print, here:
https://canada.justice.gc.ca/eng/csj-sjc/pl/charter-charte/c11.html

But what I keep seeing in the news is that some MPs are trying to wiggle a
few clauses here and there, and it seems that the more they debate, the
further they get from the original intentions.

I'm really starting to get the impression that this bill benefits only
those who got paid to like it, but not the average Canadian.  That could be
my skeptical attitude, but I'm not seeing anything on the news that screams
"this is good for people, not companies or MPs"