[kwlug-disc] The Fediverse is complicated

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Wed Nov 23 14:53:27 EST 2022

Tumblr is adding ActivityPub support.

Jack Dorsey, founder of twitter, has created Bluesky Social as a successor to twitter. He's creating a new federation protocol <atproto.com> which will have advantages over ActivityPub, including account portability between instances (your ID doesn't hard code your instance), plus better content discovery and search. Right now it's in private beta. Maybe it will be good.

Mastodon could "win" if we end up with federation between the traditional mastodon network and larger commercial social media sites. Realistically, I think that a huge, profitable, top-tier social media site has no motivation to federate with the little guys. But the little guys have motivation to federate with each other, even when some of the the little guys are for-profit and ad-funded. Because in this context, interoperability with your competitors is not a zero sum game -- everybody gets a bigger slice of the pie. Tumblr is doing it, for example.