[kwlug-disc] The Fediverse is complicated

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Wed Nov 23 13:57:51 EST 2022

On Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 10:05:25AM -0500, Doug Moen wrote:
> Mastodon is very nerdy and tribal. It is built by nerds, for nerds. The
> complexity of joining and using Mastodon is part of the nerd appeal, but
> for this reason I think it won't be a dominant mass market medium like
> Twitter. Hive Social touts simplicity as its selling point, so I expect
> it or something like it to capture the bulk of users in the long term.

It kinda reminds me of the gold rush of video conferencing during the
early days of the pandemic.  Quite a few open source projects had
a great opportunity, from matrix to jitsi, but it was zoom that won
in the end.

I will be very impressed if Mastodon wins this time too.  Not impossible,
but I will be impressed.

- Chris