[kwlug-disc] Vote machines today

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Thu Jun 2 14:30:40 EDT 2022

On Thu, Jun 2, 2022, at 17:19, Mikalai Birukou via kwlug-disc wrote:
> Have you seen today vote machines?
>
> I've asked a guy who fed the machine with paper ballots: counting of
> paper will occur if total numbers don't match. As long as your hack
> keeps total same, only shifting distribution of votes no one will do
> recount of paper.
>
> Is it true, or will manual counting of paper happen to confirm
> completely fast numbers that machine does?

That's probably the only automated recount method -- If we fed in 1000 ballots, but only got 999 votes, then a recount is required.

According to the Election Act, all recounts must be manual.

> *74.1 *A recount that is made from the actual ballots shall be conducted manually, even if the original count was done by vote counting equipment.  2010, c. 7, s. 31.

Reference: https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90e06#BK195

Presumably, if your local election results differ significantly from polls (or the election was close), affected parties would challenge the results, thus triggering a manual recount.

I wonder if there are statistics on electronic vs manual counts, or how spoiled ballots affect counts in the electronic machines.

FWIW, I'm not opposed to electronic *counting* of votes, as long as there is an original paper ballot for manual recounts if warranted. I absolutely oppose purely electronic voting (ex: touchscreens).

--
*Chris Irwin*

email:   chris at chrisirwin.ca
  web: https://chrisirwin.ca