[kwlug-disc] Vote machines today

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Jun 2 16:51:18 EDT 2022

On Thu, Jun 2, 2022 at 2:32 PM Chris Irwin via kwlug-disc <
kwlug-disc at kwlug.org> wrote:

> FWIW, I'm not opposed to electronic *counting* of votes, as long as there
> is an original paper ballot for manual recounts if warranted. I absolutely
> oppose purely electronic voting (ex: touchscreens).

That is exactly my position too.

As long as there is a physical paper ballot, distributed polling stations,
easily audited by lay people, then the criteria are met.

The criteria, for me, that must be met are as follows:

- *Anonymity:* a ballot cannot be traced to an individual, so there is no
pressure or reprisal.
- *Decentralization:* ballots should not all go to one location to be
counted (where it can be switched, or stuffed). Otherwise, you can bribe or
threaten a few people to get a favorable result for you or your friends.
- *Auditability:* ballots can be recounted with witnesses from various
candidates/parties. Software on the other hand can be modified by one
corrupt programmer or installer for a bribe, under pressure or for
ideology. Even if a committee supervises the software release, this is a
single point of failure (see next point), and there is no guarantee that
"this software" is what ended up on the web site, or released as an app.
- *Transparency: *the entire process should understandable to a lay person