[kwlug-disc] ssh takes 5 minutes to connect

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Tue Jul 26 19:39:26 EDT 2022

Chris Frey wrote on 2022-07-25 02:25:

> I'd recommend watching the server-side CPU load during the hang.  Is it
> working hard, or just idle?

Good idea!

... idle ...

Set up a new user, tried ssh as them: same thing, so not an issue with
the login scripts / bash_history, etc.

> If idle, perhaps use strace on the server to see what system call it is
> waiting on.  That might give a clue.  If it waits on a socket or file
> handle, that may point to something as well.

Interesting, but I'm not sure how to do that.

(does some reading...)

That looks promising.

Just when I was ready to diff all the /etc/pam.d files between Rpi &
Dell looking for differences.

I think I'll try strace.

Thanks!

rb