[kwlug-disc] ssh takes 5 minutes to connect

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Mon Jul 25 05:25:13 EDT 2022

On Mon, Jul 25, 2022 at 02:12:54AM -0700, Ronald Barnes wrote:
> The only thing that makes a difference is this:
>
> > UsePAM No
>
> And it's driving me crazy, going down a rabbit hole of PAM settings (which
> shouldn't have changed unless through system update at some point).

Tough nut to crack.

I'd recommend watching the server-side CPU load during the hang.  Is it
working hard, or just idle?

If idle, perhaps use strace on the server to see what system call it is
waiting on.  That might give a clue.  If it waits on a socket or file
handle, that may point to something as well.

- Chris