[kwlug-disc] Hard Disk from UEFI mobo to BIOS mobo

Remi Gauvin remi at georgianit.com
Sun Feb 13 13:48:44 EST 2022

On 2022-02-13 12:01 p.m., Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:

> Any easy way to make this UEFI disk bootable under BIOS? I can reinstall,
> but I don't have a spare disk, and rather not spend more time on this
> testing only server.

If the disk is partitioned with a GPT partition table, (which is
probably the case if it was booting from EFI), then you need to create a
'bios_grub' partition.  It only needs to be 1 MB in size, so it should
be possible/easy to shrink your EFI partition by 1MB and create a
bios-grub partition..

Once that is in place, you can Boot from a rescue media, mount yous
system root partition and chroot into it, and from there, install grub.
 (You might have to install a grub-pc package for Debian based distros)