[kwlug-disc] Hard Disk from UEFI mobo to BIOS mobo

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sun Feb 13 12:01:34 EST 2022

Over the past few weeks, I have been moving from home server from one
motherboard to another, to get a couple of new features, such as faster
SATA (6Gbps) and USB (3.0).

The new motherboard is UEFI, so I installed Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS to a
new disk, then copied the file system to it. In addition to moving from
BIOS to UEFI, it was also to move the system from ext3 to ext4.

All worked after a lot of arduous tasks ... Thanks in part to Chris Irwin's
UEFI presentation from before the pandemic ...

So, now comes the time of getting the old motherboard to run the disk that
was on the BIOS motherboard. It does not boot, because the old motherboard
is BIOS, and the disk has a /boot/efi fat32 system.

Any easy way to make this UEFI disk bootable under BIOS? I can reinstall,
but I don't have a spare disk, and rather not spend more time on this
testing only server.

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.