[kwlug-disc] Hard Disk from UEFI mobo to BIOS mobo

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sun Feb 13 19:15:03 EST 2022

On Sun, Feb 13, 2022 at 1:50 PM Remi Gauvin <remi at georgianit.com> wrote:

> On 2022-02-13 12:01 p.m., Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>
> > Any easy way to make this UEFI disk bootable under BIOS? I can reinstall,
> > but I don't have a spare disk, and rather not spend more time on this
> > testing only server.
>
> If the disk is partitioned with a GPT partition table, (which is
> probably the case if it was booting from EFI), then you need to create a
> 'bios_grub' partition.  It only needs to be 1 MB in size, so it should
> be possible/easy to shrink your EFI partition by 1MB and create a
> bios-grub partition..

Thanks for the pointer.
I was able to do the part above.
There were some free space and I used that.

> Once that is in place, you can Boot from a rescue media, mount yous
> system root partition and chroot into it, and from there, install grub.
>  (You might have to install a grub-pc package for Debian based distros)

Using Finnix (which I posted on earlier) I was able to do several tasks.

Turns out that chroot needs the binding on /dev, /sys, /proc et. al. in
order
to be able to access the devices.
Did that part, using

mkdir /mnt/r
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/r

cd /mnt/r
mount --bind /dev dev
mount --bind /dev/pts dev/pts
mount --bind /proc proc
mount --bind /sys sys

chroot /mnt/r

The package grub-pc is not installed, so I did:

dhclient enp3s0

And was able to get an IP address.

But no name resolution for some reason.

Will look into this further tomorrow.