[kwlug-disc] Trouble Reading 1 TB Hard Drive in USB SATA Dock

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Feb 9 12:15:01 EST 2022

On Wed, Feb 9, 2022 at 12:06 PM Ron Singh <ronsingh149 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Was the backup size still 17G? See, your USB2 transfer duration is about
> 40 minutes, but your USB3 transfer duration is more like 75 minutes.
> I can see USB3 being more CPU-hogging than USB2 since the data stream is
> so much faster, but I wonder about the transfer duration.

The backup size is different because dump thought the file system had lots
of changes, and went over more stuff to backup.
But what matters is whatever snapshot taken during the middle of the backup

(user time, system time, idle, wait for I/O)
USB 2.0 old server :       20 3 50 28
USB 3.0 new(er) server: 55 5 32 8

It is possible that wait for I/O was higher on the old server (3Gbps SATA)
vs. the newer one (6Gbps).
So it was I/O bound on the old one, vs. CPU bound on the newer server.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.