[kwlug-disc] Beginner-friendly presentation requests

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Thu Feb 10 03:07:06 EST 2022

Shaun Browne is a relatively new Linux user. He kindly sent me a set
of topics that he would be interested in, as somebody just getting
into Linux. Here is a semi-curated list. Can you offer to present one
or more of these topics to the group?

- What computers/platforms are well-suited for converting to Linux
  machines? What properties do they have? Are there particularly good
  candidates new Linux users should target?

- What distros are best suited to different niches in the Linux
  ecosystem? What are the best distros for powerful computers? Older
  computers? Other niches such as video creation/audio
  creation/privacy and security? There are lots of distros out there,
  but choosing the "best of breed" to start with can be overwhelming.

- How do low-powered computers like the Raspberry Pi fit into the
  Linux ecosystem? What other low-powered devices are there, and what
  are their niches?

- How beneficial are Youtube programs like like Explaining Computers,
  or ones about running legacy Macintosh systems, for new Linux
  users? What other online resources are most helpful for getting
  people started in Linux in 2022? This could also talk about local
  sources of support.

- What are the difference between 32 and 64 bit architectures? Does it
  matter? (I might add: differences between different kinds of
  processors could be a good addition here.)

- Where does one get old computers to play with? (I suggested this one
  might be more appropriate as a question on kwlug-disc, but it could
  be a presentation topic too.)

I often feel that we have too many advanced presentations and not
enough beginner-friendly ones, so receiving this list is a real
treasure.

Shaun did say that he is interested in presentations that are oriented
to his interests as a user, as opposed to being a developer (or
sysadmin?).

You could pick one aspect of these topics, or do more comprehensive
overviews. I feel there is enough expertise in this group to answer
many of these questions well. If you would like to schedule something
please contact me, or offer in-thread.

- Paul

--
Events: https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org