[kwlug-disc] Firefox resource usage

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Tue Feb 1 00:43:50 EST 2022

Since youtube-dl wasn't getting updated for months after their little
tiff with github, I've replaced youtube-dl with yt-dlp

https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp

yt-dlp does a bunch more sites than youtube-dl (which did plenty!), and
it fixes Google's throttling of YouTube sites.

yt-dlp uses the same command parameters as youtube-dl, so I can use my
former config file. I've set an alias:

alias yt='yt-dlp --config-location=~/.config/youtube-dl/config'

so I can easily switch between the two by changing where the alias
points. But I haven't gone back to youtube-dl for months...

BTW, apparently you can bypass the Google throttling on YouTube by
setting the referer string on youtube-dl to spoof an Android device.  I
didn't try that, since yt-dlp does it for me.

--Bob.