[kwlug-disc] Firefox resource usage

Steve Izma sizma at golden.net
Tue Feb 1 12:10:08 EST 2022

On Tue, Feb 01, 2022 at 12:43:50AM -0500, Bob Jonkman wrote:
> Subject: Re: [kwlug-disc] Firefox resource usage

For firefox, I've been using the various vim-like addons for
years, like pentadactyl (defunct), trydactyl, etc., but I've
found that qutebrowser meets almost all my needs and seems
quicker and more fully useable from the keyboard than any of the
above. It has quirks, of course, especially around input focus,
but those are worth getting used to.

On any of these vim-like addons, something like "yy" or ";y"
copies a link to the clipboard. If the page link gets copies, for
example, then xclip on command line makes the URL available for
other commands.

> Since youtube-dl wasn't getting updated for months after their little tiff
> with github, I've replaced youtube-dl with yt-dlp
>
> https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp
>
> yt-dlp does a bunch more sites than youtube-dl (which did
> plenty!), and it fixes Google's throttling of YouTube sites.

Hey, Bob, thanks very much for that. I was wondering why it's
been taking hours to get some videos lately. That package is
available in debian's bullseye-backports, so I'll test it out
soon.

I have a simple shell function that I used for youtube-dl and
should work for yt-dlp:

function getvid {
	usage="$0 [ -f quality -o destfile -s select -h ]"
	outfn=''
	qual=22
	sel=clip
	while getopts f:ho:s? o
	do
		case "$o" in
		f)  qual=${OPTARG} ;;
		o)  outfn=${OPTARG} ;;
		s)  sel=${OPTARG} ;;
		h)	echo $usage ; return ;;
		esac
	done
	shift $OPTIND-1
	if [ -n "$outfn" ]
	then
		youtube-dl -f $qual -o $outfn $(xclip -o -sel $sel)
	else
		youtube-dl -F $(xclip -o -sel $sel)
	fi
}

Just running the command provides the different available
qualities of sound, video, and combined files. Then re-running
the command with your choice activates the download:

getvid -f 22 -o reasonable_output_filename.ext

This assumes you haven't changed the clipboard contents in the
meantime.

    -- Steve

--
Steve Izma
-

==
The most erroneous stories are those we think we know best – and
therefore never scrutinize or question.
    -- Stephen Jay Gould, *Full House: The Spread of Excellence
    from Plato to Darwin*, 1996