[kwlug-disc] Firefox resource usage

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Tue Feb 1 00:09:14 EST 2022

On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 11:25:51PM -0500, Chris Frey wrote:

> I'm hoping it's a temporary state for Firefox, and hope they have been
> working on performance in post-91.x versions.  If not, I guess my only
> recourse is to compile it myself and bust out the profilers. :-)

Another recourse is you use youtube-dl. This has degraded as a
recourse since Our Friends at Google now throttle download speeds from
scripts that do not pass a challenge, but I am still able to waste my
life watching Youtube and other video sites if I am patient.

My invocation is something like:

youtube-dl --verbose -f 'best[height<=360]' SOME_URL

This of course reduces the resolution, which is what I want on my old
slow netbook. It will fail for portrait-mode videos.

Despite the name youtube-dl works on a surprising number of video
sites. If there is some weird site that hosts video I often have
success getting video by throwing youtube-dl at it. Even CBC Gem
works, although not well.

Having said that, I heartily encourage you to bust out the profilers
and fix the performance problems so my copy of Firefox gets faster in
the future.

- Paul

--
Events: https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org