[kwlug-disc] home security cameras

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Thu Aug 4 16:32:52 EDT 2022

On Thu, Aug 4, 2022, at 18:31, Chris Frey wrote:
> https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/26/23279562/arlo-apple-wyze-eufy-google-ring-security-camera-foortage-warrant

I've got two Wyze v3 cameras, one pointing at my driveway and one at my front door. They really can't be beat in terms of price. USD$30 for a camera with a sensor so good you can actually leave IR/night mode off at night and get very usable, colour night-time footage.

Due to the cloud connectedness, I would never have one inside my home. But my driveway seems to be a reasonable compromise. They're also on an isolated SSID & subnet.

They have an alternate firmware that adds RTSP, so you can integrate them with other software that can consume RTSP streams, however I've seen complaints that they stop providing RTSP if disconnected from the cloud for more than a few hours -- which isn't good. I haven't confirmed this personally, but my plan is to try it out before I ditch them completely.

Personally, I'm moving over to Unifi. This is not a cheap option, as it unfortunately requires buy-in to a whole ecosystem. However, video storage and detection (motion, people, packages, etc) are handled locally, with the pros & cons that entails.

--
*Chris Irwin*

email:   chris at chrisirwin.ca
  web: https://chrisirwin.ca