[kwlug-disc] home security cameras

John Van Ostrand john at vanostrand.com
Thu Aug 4 16:30:21 EDT 2022

You might consider a camera that offers RTSP streams and then use open
source software like ZoneMinder (full featured) or FFMPEG (can capture and
store streams, use a script or something to manage it and files.)
Old Axis cameras might work for you. They are networked and will do motion
detection but don't do any cloud. They might be cheap. I have a half dozen
or so that I've not known what to do with for a while. Contact me if you're
interested in them. I'm fine with the ease of Wyze cameras and the cloud
service.
I think the Wyze cameras have alternate firmware that supports RTSP and
those are about $40 each, tiny, good resolution and handy (if not very
robust) mounts.
I think real security experts use cameras that have specific focal lengths
for each placement. So a tight long focus to monitor a hallway, but a wide
angle for the front of a house.

On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 2:37 PM CrankyOldBugger <crankyoldbugger at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Lots of great suggestions so far, thanks, everyone.
>
> I'm kinda leaning towards this one:
> https://www.amazon.ca/eufy-Security-Spotlight-Ultra-Bright-Resolution/dp/B0978CBVJ1/ref=sr_1_1?crid=LH1RVPIE6UF&keywords=eufy+camera&refinements=p_n_feature_ten_browse-bin%3A23884349011%2Cp_n_feature_four_browse-bin%3A23715877011%2Cp_n_feature_eleven_browse-bin%3A23884354011&rnid=23884314011&s=photo&sprefix=eufy%2Celectronics%2C117&sr=1-1
>
> It's listed on Amazon at $170, but there's a $70 coupon just below the
> price..  I can't remember the last time I saw a coupon for that much..  So
> $100 for one camera.
>

> On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 2:32 PM Chris Frey <cdfrey at foursquare.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 04, 2022 at 11:58:22AM -0400, CrankyOldBugger wrote:
>> > Someone asked me about home security cameras, i.e. which ones to buy,
>> how
>> > do they work, etc.
>>
>> Tangentially related news, if anyone does go the cloud route:
>>

>> https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/26/23279562/arlo-apple-wyze-eufy-google-ring-security-camera-foortage-warrant
>>
>> - Chris

John Van Ostrand
At large on sabbatical