[kwlug-disc] searx, a sub topic of Now in the market for a new search engine...

Znoteer znoteer at mailbox.org
Sat Apr 16 13:23:47 EDT 2022

Hi,

On Sat, Apr 16, 2022 at 11:32:04AM -0400, Andrew Sullivan Cant wrote:
> This reminded me of the Searx search engine, which sounds interesting but I
> have not gotten around to looking at.

[snip]

> Has anyone ever user or looked at this?

Yes, I installed it as an app on Freedombox.  TL;DR I was disappointed.

Perhaps I didn't tweak all the myriad options enough, but I didn't find it
very useful.  Not many relavant results, lots of getting cut off because of
too many connection attempts, frequently got no results or less than a page,
having to close searx and reopen because of too much time idling without
searching...  All that for searches that just work on ddg.

I might try playing some more at a later date.  I'm not ready to recommend
it, or even mention its existence, to anyone for the time being, though.

--
Znoteer
znoteer at mailbox.org