[kwlug-disc] m1 RISC silicon: impression

Jason Eckert jason.eckert at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 19:51:09 EST 2021

That doesn't seem too surprising to me. I have aarch64 Fedora running in
UTM on an M1 Mac and it runs very fast. UTM is basically Qemu + Apple's
bare metal hypervisor framework, so you'll get almost native speed running
an ARM Linux distro. And macOS isn't a very fast or efficient OS compared
to Linux in many ways, which may explain the speed boost running OpenSCAD
on Linux at close-to-native speed in a VM on macOS.