[kwlug-disc] Securely wiping zip disks?

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 12:22:22 EDT 2021

Normally I'd use DBAN to wipe hard drives and partedmagic to securely
wipe SSDs. I had a request recently for some zip disks and wondered if
anyone has a good method for wiping these that would meet a DOD-short
(3 pass standard). I tried nwipe and it started out well, but part way
through ended up with a million or so hours to wipe a 100MB disk. (I
ended up using gparted and the drive seemed to be okay, but not
securely wiped).

There's a dd tutorial here that looks pretty good (for USB keys):
https://uwnthesis.wordpress.com/2014/07/26/kali-how-to-use-dd-to-wipe-your-usb-pen-the-visual-guide/

Just wondering if someone has used any other tools to wipe zip drives?

Cheers,

Charles