[kwlug-disc] recommendation for home router

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Jul 14 16:18:54 EDT 2021

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 3:18 PM Doug Moen <doug at moens.org> wrote:

> lspci lists my wifi card as "Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX200".
>
> Wi-Fi 5 == 802.11ac
> Wi-Fi 6 == 802.11ax (2.4 or 5 MHz)
> Wi-Fi 6E == 802.11ax (6 MHz)
> The WRT3200ACM has 802.11ac == WiFi 5.

Yeah, I don't know about ax. What I know is that ac does not go
through walls that well.
I have two interfaces enabled on the router. One is n/ac, and the other is bgn.

> PS, I also checked freshtomato, which is supposed to be easier to use than OpenWRT,
> and also quite stable, but they do not support any Wi-Fi 6 routers.

OpenWRT used to be hard, but not anymore. Flashing is now done from the OEM's
web interface, and the web based management UI is enabled by default (LuCI).

But I have not used any tomato version, so don't know how better (if
at all) it is.