[kwlug-disc] Raspberry Pi temperature

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Aug 16 10:25:13 EDT 2021

I have two Raspberry Pis. One is a Pi 3B+ which I had for several years,
and the other is a Pi 4, which is new, replacing what the older one was
doing.

The new Pi4 came with a kit that had a 5V fan.

Both run Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Server.

On the Pi4 with the fan, the file
/sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp shows its temperature to be
usually 38C, and never above 40C.

The older Pi3 only came with heat sinks, and the same file shows that it
goes from 48C when idle, to 51C when doing something (MPD server).

So here are my questions:

1. Is 51C bad?
That is the temperature that a laptop runs at when doing 'something'.

2. Or is the Pi4 throttled so as not to heat up?

3. Any hints on throttling the Pi3 similarly?

4. Anyone knows of low cost cases with fans for the Pi3?
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin