[kwlug-disc] VPN Traffic

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Mon Aug 16 12:39:17 EDT 2021

On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 12:21:32PM -0400, peter_melse at gto.net wrote:
> One good workaround from a security (if not privacy) standpoint is to
> run your own vpn endpoint on a cloud host, and use that from insecure
> networks / last mile. This should work until they start blocking the
> cloud hosting providers.

Depending on the cloud provider, they may not allow VPN or proxy
network use in their terms.  So best to read before you buy.

OVH's VPS terms says no proxy or CCCam sharing.  I recall that Google
cloud forbids using their network as a backbone between sites, even if the
company owns both sites.  I don't recall if Google's terms specifically
mention VPN or not.

Also, if you use a cloud provider, you normally only get one IP per
host anyway, so you are still identifiable.  It is good for protecting
yourself from a sketchy local network, but won't give you much privacy
at the remote site you're talking to.

- Chris