[kwlug-disc] KDE Connect

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Sat Mar 14 14:02:44 EDT 2020

Ron Singh wrote on 2020-03-14 10:56 a.m.:

> I am not a big fan of KDE, preferring the Xfce desktop, but am rolling
> out more Cinnamon than anything else to people who are willing/able to
> embrace Linux.
>
> A frequent request is connecting their cell phones to their desktops,
> notifications, etc.
>
> KDE Connect promises to do just that. I wonder, does anyone have any
> experience with this feature that they are willing to share?

It does a brilliant job of connecting phones & desktops / laptops.

Reply to SMS on desktop, see a web page, click "Send to device", it
opens on phone. That's how I then send links via SMS...

On phone's lock screen, multimedia controls for what's playing on PC,
whether in Firefox or VLC.

A whole lot more features too.

Really, it's a "killer app" for KDC.  And, should you give KDC an honest
test, you'll find it's not bloated but quite well-tuned in resource
usage, has the best file manager (Dolphin), text editor (Kate), and
other tools of all the DEs that I've tried.

Truly a shame and missed opportunity for Canonical to drop Unity for
Gnome instead of KDE. They could have even made their first KDE release
look and behave almost exactly like Unity, if desired.

Anyway, KDEConnect - a true killer app.