[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu LTS future

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Jun 26 21:08:46 EDT 2020

Wow. I did not realize that the Snap ecosystem was not FLOSS. This has
opened my eyes.

So it seems that you can make your own snaps using free software?
https://github.com/snapcore/snapcraft

so the locked down part is the server. I wonder if there is a
competing project to make FLOSS snap repos?

Also, it looks like snaps come with a luscious dollop of surveillance:

> Make data-driven decisions with active install metrics. Watch as
> automatic updates migrate users to your latest release. Understand
> your audience with geographic and version breakdowns.

(from https://snapcraft.io/)

The other approach that comes to mind here is NixOS. Maybe that is the
answer to the bleeding-edge vs LTS issue?

- Paul