[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu LTS future

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Sat Jun 27 09:21:34 EDT 2020

Just to expand on one point about Snap, the only 3D modelling tool that worked flawlessly on my system (using Snap) was Blender, and that's because Blender has sandboxing turned off. Canonical will normally not allow snaps with sandboxing disabled in their store, but Blender was able to negotiate special permission. I doubt I have the political clout to negotiate the same deal with Canonical, to get a non-sandboxed version of Curv into the Snap store. I do have the same technical requirements as Blender, however.

Flatpak is basically like Snap, but it is open source, and software vendors can run their own flatpak server and have a direct relationship with their users, without Canonical or Red Hat forcibly interposing themselves as intermediaries.

Doug Moen.