[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu LTS future

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Fri Jun 26 16:31:47 EDT 2020

DIfferent people have different reactions to snaps. I've been experimenting with snaps in 18.04, and the technology is unacceptable to me: I don't want it on my machine.

Partly it's because snaps are unusable on my system. A snap program cannot read or write files on my ZFS array, which is where I store all of my personal data and working files. That is part of the sandboxing design, and it cannot be overridden by the user. Snaps that use the GPU to display 3D graphics will not work on my system. That's a bug, caused by the sandboxing that Canonical uses to mediate GPU access, and even if it were fixed, I worry that 3D graphics performance would suffer. And again, this can't be disabled by the user.

Partly it's because the snap system is not open source. It is proprietary and locked down. There is only one snap store, controlled by Canonical. You can't distribute snaps to other users without Canonical's permission, since nobody else can create a snap server. You can copy snap files around but then there is no update mechanism. Same problem as Apple's iOS app store (which is one reason I refuse to own an iOS device). Snap is part of a long term vision to gradually evolve Ubuntu into a more locked-down, proprietary system like iOS. I'm getting out now, rather than living with a degraded experience and watching it slowly get worse with successive future releases. Same reason I'm switching my laptop from Mac to Linux.

Others have noted that you have no control over when snaps upgrade, and you can't roll back an upgrade that breaks your system.

Flatpak seems to have fewer of these problems. I intend to move to a distro where there is no snap, and where flatpak support is integrated, as a first class citizen. (Which probably means any major distro other than Ubuntu.) Maybe I won't like flatpak either, but I want to experiment and see if I want to distribute my own software (Curv) as a flatpak. Some of my users want this (easy install and uninstall, auto upgrade). It looks like an important part of the non-Ubuntu Linux ecosystem from now on. With the other distros boycotting Snap, Flatpak is probably the place to be, if you like that sort of thing.

Doug Moen.