[kwlug-disc] FAANG-free list

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Apr 30 21:46:59 EDT 2020

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 9:39 PM Mikalai Birukou via kwlug-disc <
kwlug-disc at kwlug.org> wrote:

> b) Let's also note that Swiss government did in fact invested or even
> granted Protonmail sizable chunk. I can't imagine any friction for
> spooks from here to talk to spooks there, who may have a friendly ear in
> a company, especially, when all legalities are probably settled, to
> provide info about "who that person is talking to who" (capture of
> metadata, or surveillance).

Reminds me of Crypto AG, which made encryption machines for use by countries
from the 60s onwards.

They had an agreement with the CIA, as well as BND, the German equivalent,
to weaken their encryption so that they can spy on various countries.

First in 2015
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-33676028

Then Feb 2020
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51467536