[kwlug-disc] PSA: Clear your cookies

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Mon Apr 13 16:58:42 EDT 2020

I recommend UBlock Origin because it blocks a lot of malware while remaining easy to use, and it has a good open source reputation. Also, the element blocker (which blocks specific elements of web pages) is quite useful.

I also run NoScript and block all javascript by default, unless I explicitly enable it. I do not recommend this because it makes web browsing very difficult.

I still use Chrome for those circumstances where I want to log in to Google, otherwise I don't recommend Chrome. I have discovered that if you configure Chrome to block Google cookies (blocking by domain name), then Chrome will ignore that configuration and store Google cookies anyway. I use Google calendar to keep track of Watcamp events. Google still manages to track me on Firefox anyway despite all my technology. I use Tor browser if I don't want Google to see me.