[kwlug-disc] PSA: Clear your cookies

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Mon Apr 13 15:06:11 EDT 2020

I tend to have my Firefox options locked down:

- Privacy and Security -> Content Blocking set to strict
- Privacy and Security -> Set Do Not Track (as if it matters)
- Privacy and Security -> Never remember passwords
- Privacy and Security -> Never remember history
- Home -> New Windows and Tabs -> New Tab is blank
- Search -> Disable Google
- Privacy Badger extension

I ought to put on uBlock or something but I have not done so.

My understanding was that when I get out of Firefox my cookies will
all be deleted. This is not necessarily so. I used to run an extension
(that does not work anymore?) called "Self-Destructing Cookies" that I
thought wold take care of getting rid of my cookies, but I guess it
did not work. When I looked in Privacy and Security -> Cookies and
Site Data -> Manage Data I saw there were cookies from two years ago
sitting in my browser profile, tracking me all over the Internets.
This makes me upset, but it is a good lesson.

The moral of the story: check your cookies periodically.

- Paul

--
Events: https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org
Blog: http://pnijjar.freeshell.org