[kwlug-disc] Fuming out about virus, security in depth

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Apr 8 20:30:32 EDT 2020

Viruses are very tiny. In fact, that is how they were first discovered: a
scientist
who was studying the tobacco mosaic disease macerated infected leaves, then
passed the solution through a fine filter that prevents bacteria from
passing through
(those are made from ceramic or other finely porous material). The
resulting liquid
still infected healthy leaves. He concluded that there is a tiny organism
causing it

Decades later, when the electron microscope allowed seeing things that are
the
visible spectrum does not show.

But I agree that masks will help. This particular viruses is produced in
the respiratory
tract, and therefore spread by droplets. Even a cloth mask stops some of
that aerosol.
Think of a show fence, or droplets absorbed into the cloth. Something is
better than
nothing.

Remember the saying: "Perfect is the enemy of good enough".

My wife sewed some unused T-shirts into masks, with a paper clip for it to
fit on the
nose, and we use them when we go out.

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 8:19 PM Mikalai Birukou via kwlug-disc <
kwlug-disc at kwlug.org> wrote:

> It seems that starting from yesterday we should wear masks:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UuJyZA9MCU
>
> <fume>
>
> No, the laws of physics, chemistry and biology haven't changed. I am
> having flashes of memory to how soviets were handling Chernobyl. WTF?
>
> </fume>
>
> Initially argument was that mask won't completely protect. Reminder that
> 95 in N95 stands for a percentage. Anything infront your face will
> reduce chances of getting stuff. Its like security in depth, no measure
> is 100% reliable, but put together, and you are much better off.
>
> Now I wonder how much slower virus would have spread, if on March 1st
> we've heard wear bandanas and leave other masks to medical stuff.
>
> First, its more difficult to touch face when in mask.
>
> Second, mask is a reminder about new behaviour to yourself and to
> others, right in the face.
>
> Its like security in depth, like additional egress filtering and digital
> hygiene. Not perfect, but let us go a long way.

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
Fast Reliable Drupal
Drupal performance optimization, hosting and consulting.
"Sooner or later, this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going
to blow up in our faces." -- Dr. Carl Sagan