[kwlug-disc] Fuming out about virus, security in depth

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Wed Apr 8 20:18:59 EDT 2020

It seems that starting from yesterday we should wear masks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UuJyZA9MCU

<fume>

No, the laws of physics, chemistry and biology haven't changed. I am
having flashes of memory to how soviets were handling Chernobyl. WTF?

</fume>

Initially argument was that mask won't completely protect. Reminder that
95 in N95 stands for a percentage. Anything infront your face will
reduce chances of getting stuff. Its like security in depth, no measure
is 100% reliable, but put together, and you are much better off.

Now I wonder how much slower virus would have spread, if on March 1st
we've heard wear bandanas and leave other masks to medical stuff.

First, its more difficult to touch face when in mask.

Second, mask is a reminder about new behaviour to yourself and to
others, right in the face.

Its like security in depth, like additional egress filtering and digital
hygiene. Not perfect, but let us go a long way.