[kwlug-disc] Linux Friendly Cost Effective Ink Jet Printer/Scanner

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Sat Jun 1 22:09:50 EDT 2019

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 01:34:14PM -0400, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>Here are the questions:
>- Any other printer/scanner brands that work well with Linux (Epson,
>Brother)?

Brother supplies some linux packages as well, but I found them to be
problematic and didn't bother using them (32-bit only, don't get updated
as frequently as my distribution).

When purchasing my current printer, my requirements were:

* Print over the network using Postscript and PCL
* Scan to email using SMTP

I settled on an OKI MB451 that met my needs. It's a tad big and only B/W
(so not what you're looking for), but no special drivers or software
required.  At work we've got an HP-something I think which we use the
same way.

I only use postscript, but our software at work talks PCL, so if I ever
needed to work from home *and* test printing, I could do that. This has
never happened... But I'm ready...

Just be careful about some of the more inexpensive printers. For
example, I had to argue to avoid a restocking fee when returning a
printer that lied about it's capabilities on the box (scanning to a
windows driver that auto-attaches a PDF into outlook is not "scan to
email").

>I don't want a laser printer since I need to print in colour
>occasionally.

Colour lasers exist. My Brother was colour, and I was quite pleased with
it. My only complaint was it didn't have a scanner, and since I rarely
used colour, I went B/W.

Note that much like there's a lot of variation in inkjet capabilities
and quality, there is the same for laser. Some have slow colour printing
because they effectively feed the page through four times (CMYK), while
some others can do a proper single-pass colour print.

As with any printer, reading reviews should identify this (via PPM
metrics)

--
Chris Irwin

email:   chris at chrisirwin.ca