[kwlug-disc] Linux Friendly Cost Effective Ink Jet Printer/Scanner

tomg at sentex.ca tomg at sentex.ca
Thu Jun 13 12:06:37 EDT 2019

Quoting Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com>:

> Regarding home multi function printers/scanners.
> We all know that HP has the best support on Linux, because of the hplip
> package.

My Brother MFCJ491DW works without problems on Linux, even the old Debian
stable (LMDE 3) I'm using.  Both printing and scanning work.  It was $70 but
I'm not sure how long-lasting it is, it doesn't seem extremely solidly built.

I haven't tried the fax feature. I don't know how expensive the ink or toner
is per page.  Photocopying works fine too.

I hope that helps.

tom