[kwlug-disc] Jason's new book

Stuart Seeley stuart at lowlevel.ca
Sat Jan 26 00:56:53 EST 2019

You're not alone Doug...   their entire line of laptops are a solid do not
buy at the moment as far as I'm concerned due to the keyboards.

For a while there Apple really was making the best laptops/desktops... I
bought a cheese grater when they went intel, sold it for $1000 after 8
silent and solid years.
Also agree on the apple trackpads... no one else has it dialed in/figured
out quite as well when it comes to palm rejection or tracking accuracy.

I did buy a Dell XPS13 a few years back and ended up returning it due to
track pad jitters...
Currently using HP laptops... not retail-store ish or cheap, but available
on hpshopping.com
(Disclaimer: Employee in the family;Feel free to delete this email now.)

ZBook Studio G3 (closest thing they make to a macbook pro I guess)
ZBook 15 G2 (big/heavy,4k dislpay)
Zbook 14 (older, but I really like this one)
(I would avoid their entire consumer line personally...)

The Studio G3 has this thunderbolt dock which has been a complete driver
nightmare for about a year since launch... but it's well sorted out now.
The only one I have linux on at the moment is the 14.. but if I'm not
mistaken you can put the newer ones in legacy mode/non-secure boot or
whatever it is to install.

All the best.

Stuart