[kwlug-disc] Jason's new book

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Tue Jan 22 15:06:13 EST 2019

I've been using a Macintosh since 1984. My current Mac is a 2010 MacBook
Air. At the time I bought it, it was the best laptop on the market. The
build quality was much better than any PC laptop that I could find in
retail stores, and it was also much lighter. I'm really pleased with how
long it has lasted. I still use it daily as my only laptop.
Unfortunately, Apple doesn't currently sell any hardware that I would
consider buying, and I doubt they will sell hardware I want ever again.
The current MacBooks have a bad keyboard with unacceptably low key
travel, and they are unreliable, with an outrageous repair cost. The
ribbon cable that runs power to the backlight is thinner and more prone
to breaking than in laptop models from the past, with a really high
repair cost. The boot rom is designed to make it impossible to boot
Linux. Good trackpad, though, and nice display. The fastest Mac desktop
you can currently buy is a reconditioned Mac Pro "cheese grater"
edition, built in 2006 (from a third party) with upgraded CPU, RAM, GPU
and SSD. Nothing Apple currently sells can compete, and new Mac desktops
are mostly not upgradeable. And I have never considered buying an iOS
device, due to the walled garden, and the impossibility of running my
own software on it, and also because of the surveillance and spyware.
So I view Mac as a dying ecosystem. At some point, my MacBook will die,
and I will need to buy a Linux laptop to replace it. The Dell XPS 13
looks like a nice replacement.