[kwlug-disc] Jason's new book

Chamunks chamunks at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 17:36:10 EST 2019

It would be really nice to have a nice long term consistent linux
experience for the desktop environment.  I was running a Lenovo something
something for a travel laptop for a trip I took last year and regretted not
taking my Mac the trackpad was bad, the load times were awful even with an
SSD everything in the UX/UI felt jittery and slow I just wish there was one
company dedicated to producing liquid smooth consistent user experiences in
the Linux universe sure I can have a desktop environment a million
different ways but at the end of the day if I spend more time configuring
things than doing what I want to do its just a mess.  I find because of the
huge plethora of options in linux I spend more time constantly optimizing
how my UX is then finding ways to configuration manage so that my
workstation is a stateless entity that it just seems unattainable for the
average user.  If we could take the linux desktop experience of like 10
years from now and bring it back to today then I think that I'll be happy.
I love linux very much but I still find it unsuitable for a working
environment outside of servers and dev which makes me a little angry with
myself for feeling this way but until something gets better I'll keep my
eyes open and encourage the FOSS projects to go in the direction I think
will make the ecosystem better.