[kwlug-disc] Should kwlug-disc archives be private?

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Mon Nov 26 03:45:07 EST 2018

A few weeks ago a list member contacted me privately. This person was
uncomfortable participating on the mailing list because the archives
are public, and show up in search engine results.

A long time ago, this made sense. Stack Exchange did not exist, so
sometimes people would search for solutions to technical problems and
find them in our archives. That is much less the case now.

There is also the issue of email address obfuscation. Mailman does a
terrible job of this, and I am sure that our addresses are easily
harvested by spammers. This issue came up many years ago as well, but
we did not do anything about this.

On the other hand, KWLUG is a public group that advocates FLOSS, and
FLOSS has a bias towards transparency.

I am not sure what the right decision is here, and I am not sure how
we go about making that decision. I would prefer that this not turn
into a bikeshed situation, but action by dictatorial fiat seems wrong
too.

So, for those who care: would you be offended if we made list archives
private? Why?

Would you be offended if we kept list archives public? Why?

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org