[kwlug-disc] Should kwlug-disc archives be private?

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Mon Nov 26 06:44:20 EST 2018

I don't personally require the archives to be private.

I no longer worry about keeping my email address private (with respect to spam). Nowadays, if I share my email address with a friend who doesn't use proper I.T. procedures, they are likely to have their contact information harvested, and now my email address is in a spam database. This has happened multiple times. So now I don't worry about this, and I use a commercial service to filter the spam out of my email.

And I don't share anything on the list that I wouldn't want to be seen publicly. I assume that all information that I place on the internet is public knowledge. Because security is hard.

I have a preference for public archives, but I would not want that preference to create a barrier to other people participating in our community.

Doug Moen.