[kwlug-disc] Self-introduction

Ron Singh ronsingh149 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 21:02:20 EST 2018

Tom, c'mon down, the folks at KWLUG have been great at welcoming me,
helping me out when I am stuck, and generally are good eggs.

I run Mint 18.2 Xfce for my various Thinkpads(W520/X220/T201/X200)
dedicated to my fin work/IT work/personal stuff.
I use Mint 18.3 Cinnamon on a couple of i7 X230 units doing playback onto
large TVs. The kernel on these are deprecated to 4.4.
I use Debian 9(Mate) on an HP Zstation for my main job at a local IT shop,
big-a$$ed screen, 17". Works a treat.
I use for my LM 8.3 Mate for my KWLUG laptop, but will be changing that
toMajjaro I think for the Dec meeting, just to mix it up some.
Mein frau prefers the Mate edition of Ubuntu, she is more of a set and
forget sort of person. I like to pretend I have major control over what
updates are really relevant and least likely to break my installs, haha.

Tom,
in a terminal, type <sudo tlp-stat | less> and look at the output towards
the end where the status of TPSMAPI and TPACPI are listed, as in something
like this --

+++ ThinkPad Extended Battery Functions
tp-smapi   = active
tpacpi-bat = active

See if you get a status of something along the lines of "inactive", or "not
loaded" or something similar.

I dig where you are with being around folks, personally, if I can hide
behind some text on a screen or jawing on a cellphone, I am golden.
I would wager a goodly number of attendees are card-carrying introverts
too:-) Yaaa for Intros!

Come on by, the folks are welcoming, the presentations are quite rewarding,
very little downside.

I am still relatively  new to this here Linux thing and certainly even
newer to the KWLUG, but the fact that it has been around for so long(2001)
is a testimony to the quality of people who run it and who attend it. It
blows my minds the work put into it by Paul and Andrew, Georghe(sp?) and
all the rest whose names I cannot recall. Wish I could support the LUG more
meaningfully, just not sure how.

If a socio-phobic ego like mine can handle the scene at KWLUG, you CAN do
ii!
Smallish group, usually 15-20, not at all intimidating.
Come!

Thanks,

Ron Singh