[kwlug-disc] Self-introduction

tomg at sentex.ca tomg at sentex.ca
Sun Nov 4 20:25:48 EST 2018

Quoting Ron Singh <ronsingh149 at gmail.com>:

> Welcome!

Thanks!

> I am still relatively new at this at hjust under 2 years now, but the
> transition has been smooth from W7/W10 by dint of dogged distro-hopping and
> use/break of many cuts of GNU/Linux.

So which one do you run now?

> The folks at KWLUG have been truly helpful and very encouraging. wish I
> contribute more.

> I did try LMDE on baqre metal, metal being a Thinkpad X230, but the 4.9.x
> kernel does not play well with the APCI and SMAPI files and I cannot use
> TLP properly as a result. I cannot deprecate the kernel to something that I
> know works, like 4.4, or more likely, I lack the chops to do so.

Dude!  I've been wondering how to control the charging of the battery on my
ThinkPad since I bought it, and less than 24 hours after signing up to this
list I find out (TLP).  Thanks very much!

Can you tell me how TLP doesn't work?  I just installed it yesterday with a
4.9 kernel and I haven't gotten any error messages yet, though I haven't
tried anything.

> Anyway, hope to see you at KWLUG tomorrow!

Thanks for the invitation!

I'm pretty nervous around people so I don't know if I'll go.

Tom